First United Methodist Church
304 W 2nd Street, Washington, NC
Director of Family Ministries
Purpose: The Director of Family Ministries is responsible for the creation, design, implementation, and oversight of ministry plans for all age groups within the congregation. Family ministry promotes church practices so that all age groups develop diverse discipling relationships and parents are nurtured, equipped, and accountable as primary disciple-makers in their children’s lives. The Director of Family Ministries shall have leadership responsibility for the Senior Citizen and/or Children’s Ministry.
Accountability: The Director of Family Ministries reports to the Senior Pastor and is also accountable to the Staff Parish Relations Committee.
Duties: The duties of said position include (but are not limited to):
- Exercise oversight for age level ministries (Children, Youth, Sunday School, VBS, Education, Seniors, etc.)
- Provide supervision and direction for program/paid staff associated with age level ministries.
- Develop and coordinate implementation of a Senior Citizen Ministry. The ministry shall include periodic meetings, Christian education, home visits for shut ins, social/entertainment events/outings, and outreach/evangelical programs.
- Assist volunteers and staff in the creation and implementation of programming, the recruitment of volunteers, and volunteer indoctrination and training.
- Provide guidance on the formational life of the church by consulting with volunteers and paid staff on curriculum options and the scheduling of formational opportunities.
- Create and maintain a church wide programming calendar.
- Act as advocate and interpreter for age level and formational ministries to the Church Council, the congregation, and the general public.
- Encourage church members, volunteers and programming staff to attend events on a District and Conference level as well as other appropriate events.
- Assist in the development of the Annual Budget, with regard to age level and formational ministry needs. Conform to the church financial and budget procedures.
- Attend weekly staff meetings.
- Serve as ex officio member of Church Council.
- Provide written materials for weekly bulletins and monthly Lamplighter.
- Maintain regular office hours. Publish a plan with standing period(s) for meetings and interviews with parents, volunteers, and staff.
- Support and follow church Safe Sanctuary and Employment practices.
- Perform other duties, as needed, as requested by the Senior Pastor.
- Strong faith in and commitment to Jesus Christ.
- Ability to articulate call to ministry.
- Ability to relate well and interact with persons of all age levels.
- Ability to use/develop social media/AV materials.
- Four-year degree in Religion or Christian Education or equivalent experience (5 to 10 years of experience in Children’s, Youth or Young Adult ministry)
- Ability to engage in short- and long-term visioning. A pioneering spirit to inspire new initiatives. Skills in recruitment, training and working with volunteers. Personal experience with being on staff and/or supervisory experience.
- Strong organizational/communication skills.
- Demonstrable ability for leader responsibility; effective group influence; task delegation; and rightful accountability. Loyal commitment to the church mission.
- Experience in raising a family would be a plus.
- Wesleyan doctrinal heritage/knowledge is a plus
|Job Category||Other Ministry Positions|