Competency and Placement Testing
Upon receiving official scores from the appropriate testing service, a student will be placed into the appropriate level course or be granted academic credit.
|SAT ERW||ACT (English+Reading)||Advanced Placement (Language)||GED (r) (English Section)||Placement Into the Following Course||Credit Awarded|
|460 and below||32 and below||164 and below||English 036 concurrent with EN 101||none|
|640-680||55-61||English 102||English 101|
|690 and above||62 and above||4 or 5||Exempt||English 101, 102|
|SAT Math||ACT (Math)||ALEKS PPL||GED (r) (Math Section)||Placement Into the Following Course|
|480 and below||17 and below||0-45||164 and below||Math 012|
|540-600||22-25||61-75||Math 151 or 171|
|610 and above||26 and above||76-100||Math 181|
1) If remedial course work was taken at an accredited institution of higher education and the student passed the course, he may be placed in EN 101 or MA 161.
2) Students not meeting minimum scores will automatically be placed in basic 0-level courses. Students without SAT or ACT test scores will automatically be put in 0-level courses.
3) Students automatically placed in a basic level course will have the option of coming to campus (or online when available) and take a competency test to demonstrate academic ability and be placed in the appropriate 100-level course.
4) Curricular deficiencies must be satisfied within a student’s first 24 hours of college-level coursework at MACU (excluding repeats, pass/fail and 0-level courses). Deficiencies not remediated during the specified time period will result in the student being academically suspended from MACU and have to remedy the deficiency before being allowed to return to MACU.
5) Students who do not have SAT or ACT scores to submit will automatically be placed in the basic English and basic Math courses, but such placement may be challenged by taking a competency exam.
The Competency Test used by MACU for English placement is the Asset test. Form B2 is used to challenge placement in a 0-level basic course. Form C2 is used at the conclusion of a 0-level basic course. The writing exam is 36 questions and students choose 1 of 3 essays to write. The exam has a 25 minute time limit. A raw score of 26 or more correct places the student in EN101.
The Assessment used by MACU for Math placement is ALEKS. Detailed information about ALEKS may be found here.