Spyware and Malware can have a variety of negative effects on your computer. Spyware and Malware can be used to collect personal information, install botnets, and otherwise compromise the security of your computer.
Signs That Your Computer Might be Infected
1. Computer feels suddenly sluggish or an increase in program and OS crashes.
2. Excessive popups and/or changes to your settings that you did not approve.
Steps to Prevent Spyware and Malware Infections
1. Make sure you know what you are installing.
3. Comply with the University's anti-virus requirement.
4. Install anti-spyware and anti-malware tools and run them weekly.
5. Browse safer. Visit websites that you trust and do not download programs from sites that you do not trust. Never use an account with administrative credentials.