Department of Marketplace Ministry
Application Process for Teacher Ed.
Becoming a student at Mid-Atlantic Christian University is the beginning of the process for becoming a teacher. The next step is to be accepted into the Teacher Preparation (Teacher Prep) Program.
Formal admission to the Teacher Prep/Licensure program should occur by the end of the sophomore year. Students who have not passed the Praxis I series by the end of their sophomore year will be advised to change to another major. Students must submit a portfolio to the director of teacher education. When the completed portfolio is submitted, the director will determine if all requirements have been met and then advise the university registrar that the student has met the prerequisites. Students will then be able to register for upper level education courses.
The portfolio must include the following and will only be evaluated when all requirements are included:
- A formal application.
- A copy of the Praxis Core Academic Skills for Educators tests with a state minimum score of 468 or minimum scores on the SAT of 1170 or 24 on the ACT. Click here for more detailed information about the Praxis Core, SAT, and ACT.
- Transcript of grades showing the successful completion of the following courses (Each course must be passed with a 2.0 or better on a 4.0 point scale. Also a student must have an overall GPA of 2.7):
- ED 222 Foundations of Education
- ED 244 Ed. Psychology
- Eng 101 English Composition I
- ED128 Arts in the Classroom (elementary education majors only)
- ED 239 Practicum I
- Two recommendations from the following are also required: One from the director of the education program and one from a professor in the Biblical Studies minor. If there is any concern about continuing in the program expressed in these recommendations or by any other faculty member, a committee appointed by the Vice President of Academic Affairs will determine if the student may proceed in a teacher licensure program.
Already have a degree?
Students who already hold a four year degree and are seeking a teaching license must produce transcripts with evidence of a minimal GPA of 2.7 and graduation from a baccalaureate degree program of an accredited college or university, and a writing sample.